The Rod ‘N’ Reel Crab Cake*
1 qt. crab cake mix
- 3 qt. mayonnaise
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz. Old Bay
- 3 oz. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 oz. coarse black pepper
- 1 oz. Worcestershire sauce
2 lb. colossal crab meat
1.75 cups crab cake mix
1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Combine first six ingredients in a bowl and whisk to incorporate. Set aside to let flavors soften and mingle. You can take this step one day in advance.
- Drain crabmeat and place gently into mixing bowl. Take care not to break up crab lumps.
- Pour in bread crumbs over the crabmeat.
- Pour crab cake mix on top of mixture and gently fold. Combine until all components are coated and blended. Taste often and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Using a scoop, spoon or measuring cup, portion 3 oz. of crabmeat mixture into your hand and gently form into a ball. Press together without crushing and then place on a sheet pan or plate until all are made.
- Serve with tartar sauce
TWO OPTIONS FOR COOKING CRAB BALLS
- Bake on parchment at 350 degrees in convection oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and internal temperature is 150 degrees.
- Deep fry in 325-degree oil until golden brown and internal temperature is 150 degrees.
*Recipe is the Intellectual Property of Rod 'N' Reel Resort 1965 to date.